Thursday, June 07, 2007

The Green Week in Review – 1st Week of June, 2007

You can’t call yourself an environmentalist if you eat meat. Since I call myself exactly that, I’ve returned to my vegetarian (bordering on vegan) roots . Veg for Life and PETA point out that by consuming only fruits and vegetables, one person saves the lives of over 100 animals annually. So, by my action of adopting a vegetarian lifestyle, I saved at least one animal this week. If it was a cow, that means I reduced greenhouse gasses, specifically methane. .

According to The Marian Koshland Science Museum Livestock lead rice-growing, gas-flaring, and mining in global emissions of this highly potent greenhouse gas. Options for reducing methane emissions go beyond reducing beef and dairy consumption. These mitigation strategies also include reducing methane emissions from mines, gas production facilities, and landfills.

So this week, I took on the beef. I also have seriously dented the quantity of trash I’m contributing to landfill by utilizing the three R’s – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

I’ll look to my hero, and captain of my heart Albert Gore Jr. to take on the project of reducing methane emissions from the mines. You can help the 2008 Draft Al Gore Grassroots Campaign by signing the petition begging him to run.

And now, it’s time for me to head off to work, where, with any luck at all, I’ll solve a few customer challenges facilitating their transition to clothing made from sustainable resources.

No comments: